1. Read Gen. 38:1-5. What poor decisions did
He chose to marry a Canaanite, what do you learn about their plan and God’s plan from these verses?
Gen. 34:9 ___________________________________________________
Deut. 7:1-3 __________________________________________________
2. Here is a list of
Judah + Shuah Judah + Tamar
Er Perez (Hezron, Hamal)
Onan Zarah (Zimri, Ethan, Heman, Calcol, Dara)
4. Read the genealogy in Matthew 1. Since Jesus came from the tribe of
5. Why would Jesus come from such a deranged background? Read Romans 8:3 and James 5:17
6. What happened to Er and why? What if God still did that today or does He? Verse 7
7. Why wouldn’t Onan comply with the wishes of
8. Read verse 11. What promise did
9. How can we tell if traditions are good or bad? What criteria can we use?
10. After his wife died, what did
11. What did Tamar do to deceive
12. Was harlotry and adultery accepted as ok? Verse 24 – this is a tricky question, think about it.
13. When Tamar was brought to the king, what did he realize? Verses 25,26
14. What do you learn from the story of Perez and Zerah’s birth? Verses 27-30
1. _______________________________________________ v.1
2. _______________________________________________ v. 1
3. _______________________________________________ v. 2
4. _______________________________________________ v. 2
5. _______________________________________________ v.11
6. _______________________________________________ v. 16
7. _______________________________________________ v. 24
16. Read James 5:17. What do you learn about Jesus and the struggles he passed as a man when you compare James 5:17 with this story about
17. What is your overall impression of what God is trying to tell you from this chapter?
18. How could you use this chapter to help other people?