——-Discover Fellowship 205——-
He Wants You to Experience the Fellowship
The Bible’s claim is that the followers of Jesus are not only committed to His teachings, but also to His people in a bond of love and fellowship.
1. How are the words fellowship and community alike? Different?
2. Read Psalms 133:1. What do you think it takes to make this verse real?
3. In 1 John 1:3-7 John talks about fellowship. What is the main ingredient necessary for fellowship to happen?
4. The Bible gives the characteristics of true fellowship – check out these verses and discuss their implications for your life:
q authenticity – James 5:16
q sympathy – Col. 3:12; Gal. 6:2
q mercy – 2 Cor. 2:7; Col. 3:13
5. How would the church be different if we experienced true fellowship consistently?
6. Besides not being connected to God, what else can cause fellowship to be broken?
Eph. 4:15 ___________________________________________________
1 Peter 5:5 __________________________________________________
Phil. 2:3,4 __________________________________________________
Rom. 12:10 _________________________________________________
Prov. 16:28 _________________________________________________
7. What does Hebrews 10:25 tell you about fellowship?
8. Read Acts 2:46. How much time do you think the early church spent together? What was the atmosphere of their togetherness? What was their attitude?
9. What do you think about this sentence? When you look at Biblical characteristics of fellowship, it is obvious why it is so rare. It means giving up our self-centeredness and independence in order to become interdependent. But the benefits of sharing life together far outweigh the costs, and it prepares us for heaven. (Purpose Driven Life, p. 151)
10. How are you going to live out 1 John 3:16 in your life?
——-Discover Fellowship 205——-
1. What is God’s business and why does He pass it on to us? 2 Cor. 5:18
2. What does it take to restore broken fellowship?
q ________________________________James 4:1,2
q ________________________________Matt. 5:23,24
q ________________________________Prov. 19:11
q ________________________________Matt. 7:5
q ________________________________Prov. 15:1
q ________________________________Eph. 4:29
q ________________________________Rom. 12:18
3. Think about Romans 12:18 again. What are the extremes to which people take that verse out of context to their own hurt?
4. In what ways have you experienced Biblical fellowship in the past?
5. Today we use the word fellowship to talk about events like fellowship dinners, socials, etc. How is the Biblical description that we’ve been studying different from how we use the word now?
6. What could you do as an individual to make the fellowship of your church more like what the Bible is talking about?
7. What does it mean to you to be an active part of God’s family? Eph. 3:15
“They worshiped together regularly at the
met in small groups in homes, and shared their meals with
great joy and thankfulness.”
For Further Study: Discover #20