He Wants to Clear Your Head – Health
The Bible’s Claim About Health: God is interested in our health for some very important reasons – He loves us and wants us to experience the best of life.
1. What did Jesus say he wanted us to experience? John 10:10 ______________________________________________________________
2. According to Revelation 14:7 what does God want us to give Him here in the last days? ______________________________________________________________
3. How do we give God glory? 1 Corinthians 10:31 ______________________________________________________________
4. What was God’s original diet for mankind? Genesis 1:29 ______________________________________________________________
5. After Adam and Eve caved in to Satan’s temptation to eat what God had said not to eat, what did God also add to their diet? Genesis 3:18 ______________________________________________________________
6. How long did the people live who ate God’s original diet? Genesis 5:4,7,11 ______________________________________________________________
7. In Daniel 1 Nebuchadnezzar captured some Hebrew youth and intended to give them the finest of Babylon’s culture, which included certain foods. How did Daniel feel about eating the foods that the King wanted him to eat? Daniel 1:12 ______________________________________________________________
8. The word pulse means any vegetable food. What was the result of Daniel’s choice? Daniel 1:20 ______________________________________________________________
9. What other principle of health does God mention that would really help us in our culture today? Proverbs 25:16,27 ______________________________________________________________
10. In the book Food and Love by Gary Smalley, he makes a clear case that the kind of food we eat affects the way we feel, and the way we feel affects the way we act. How have you found that to be true in your own life? ______________________________________________________________
11. What does God say is the best motivation for food choices and how does our culture differ? Ecclesiastics 10:17 ______________________________________________________________
12. Can you think of ways in the past that you have eaten for other reasons besides just strengthening your body? What foods do you eat that do more to weaken your body than to strengthen it?
13. What is God’s desire for you and His promise to you? 3 John 1:2, Hebrews 4:14-16
14. For the advanced thinker: Answer the questions on the next page.
——Discover Jesus 104——-
1. In what way do the food choices you make effect your relationship with God?
2. How could eating more like the original diet help you physically, mentally, and spiritually?
3. Plant foods have proven to be very beneficial, not only our immune system but also to our brains, affecting the way we think and feel. They contain what scientists call phytochemicals or plant chemicals. These chemicals help reduce one’s risk for many of the major diseases. For example:
q Coumarins – vegetables and citrus fruits
q Allium compounds – onions, garlic, and chives
q Dithiolthiones – cruciferous vegetables
q Flavonoids – most fruits and vegetables
q Glucosinolates – cruciferous vegetables
q Glyceritinic acid – licorice
q Inositol hexaphosphate – soybeans
q Isoflavones – soybeans
q Lignans – flax seeds
q Limonene – citrus fruits
q Phenols – most fruits and vegetables
q Saponins – soybeans
4. How does it make you feel to know that God put so many helpful ingredients in plants to protect us and make us feel better?
5. What changes do you think God wants to make in your health habits that would make you experience more of the abundant life that Jesus promised?
6. If eating more fruits and vegetables will help protect you from disease, and help you have more energy and a clearer brain, are you willing to take Daniel’s experiment and try it for yourself and see if God doesn’t bless you just as He did Daniel?
7. Read 1 John 5:4,5 How does your relationship with Jesus help you in your daily choices?
8. For further study: Any recent health material by Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr. Dean Ornish, Dr. John McDougall, Gary Smalley, American Heart Association, American Medical Association, American Cancer Institute, Diabetic Association, American Dietitic Association, etc. God’s ways are being proven to be the best ways!, Discover 18